Looking for a work backpack? Read this before you make a purchase.
Choosing a backpack for work is crucial because you both want something that’s comfortable, versatile, stylish and within budget.
Well, I have been using work backpacks for years now, and there are three styles of bags that I swear by. Canvas, leather, and laptop backpacks. I can say from personal experience that all of these styles are stylish and comfortable.
But how do you choose between canvas, leather, and a laptop backpack? What’s right for your daily lifestyle? I’ll break down everything you need to know, and more.
How to Choose a Backpack For Work That Will Hold Up?
Picking a backpack for work is easy once you understand what type of conditions a backpack was made for. Pay close attention to this next part, as I explain what to expect from owning each type of backpack.
The Canvas Backpack is Perfect for a Casual Office Setting
Canvas is one of the most popular work backpack styles out there. And why wouldn’t it be?
- It’s a casual option you can use for work or for the beach
- Canvas bags are also generally unisex, and there are far more color and print options
- This style of backpack is playful, young, and light
- Canvas is making a comeback in shoes, bags, and clothes
- Very on trend option
- Relatively inexpensive
- Easy to clean
- Little to no maintenance
- It had that Instagram aesthetic some people look for
What does this bag lack? It pains me to say this, but canvas backpacks have some drawbacks:
- Canvas backpacks don’t protect against heavy rain
- There isn’t much support if you carry a lot of stuff
- Like any fabric, canvas isn’t impervious to tearing
If you don’t have to carry much with you, or if you live in a place with favorable weather conditions, then canvas bag is a perfect option for you.
Leather Backpacks Speak Sophistication, Luxury, and Durability
People usually buy leather backpacks for their aesthetics and durability. Unlike canvas, leather is the epitome of business and elegance. You can walk into an office with a leather backpack and feel like royalty. Clearly, there are some benefits to having this backpack for work.
- Quality materials are what make this type of bag special
- Depending on the style, leather backpacks can look smooth and therefore more formal
- You can dress this up or down with outfits
- Versatile bag for sightseeing and getting around town
- Also a unisex option, again depending on the style
- Fashion staple
On the other hand, leather backpacks are made of leather so there are some drawbacks.
- Fairly expensive (anywhere from $150-$400 or even $1,000)
- Comfort and support are not the priority when it comes to leather backpacks
- Generally, smaller than other backpacks for aesthetic purposes
If fashion is a big part of your life, or if you work in a business-like setting, a leather backpack might be for you. Just keep in mind that you probably won’t be able to carry heavy amounts of things.
Laptop Backpacks Are Made for the Modern Professional
For those of you that need a backpack that can handle the city commute, then a laptop backpack for professionals is perfect for work.
- Professional laptop backpacks are business friendly without the price of a leather bag
- This type of work backpack is both durable and heavy duty
- Laptop backpacks are made of long-lasting materials, making them one of the toughest backpacks out there
- Costs less than a leather bag; more than a canvas
- The best business backpack that’s not a suitcase
So What’s the Best Backpack for Work?
That depends on what your specific needs are. The safest bet is to go with a professional laptop backpack, but again that’s just my suggestion. Each bag style I mentioned works well, so long as you take care of it.